Saturday, August 13, 2011

Letting go


Volunteering at a rescue has been incredibly rewarding, and I am so thankful that Clare Aliberti, the owner and founder of Cheshire Farm Sanctuary, trusted me to start one of the most unbelievable horses I have had the privilege of working with. I took Amber on intending to teach her the basics and build her confidence in humans. Little did I know that she would end up being the one teaching me!


If I’m completely honest with myself, I needed Amber just as much, if not more, than she needed me. I’m so thankful that God blessed me with such a confidence-building experience when I needed it most. After coming home from college in May, I felt like an equestrian failure. My confidence in my riding abilities was at an all-time low. In a mock horse show, I came in last out my whole class. I was torn between trying to ride naturally, and with fluidity, and trying to achieve the desired equitation seat. And then I got that fateful message from Clare saying that she had a project she thought I’d be perfect for: a horse that had never been ridden –a blank slate. I was shocked and honored that she had asked me, an amateur, to work with her -that she felt I was capable of starting a horse from scratch. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure if I was up for it.


Amber has been the finest student I have ever worked with, and what I consider to be my proudest accomplishment. She surrendered her heart and mind completely to me, and is so smart I sometimes wonder if I can keep up with her. Amber rides like a dream now, and she has known no other rider than me (and occasionally Clare).


Success is bittersweet at a rescue, because the ultimate goal is finding a forever home for one horse so that another can be rescued. Despite my efforts to maintain a certain emotional distance, Amber’s willing and gentle nature captured my heart. She is truly a one-of-a-kind mare. After just two short months, Amber has come farther than I thought possible in her training. She exceeded my expectations at every level –going above and beyond everything I asked. In some ways I wish she wasn’t so smart, because good-bye has come much too fast.


In September, Amber will be on her way to a lovely, hopefully forever, home. A small part of me is happy for her –Clare would never let her go anywhere but to the best possible situation. But mostly I’m heartbroken. Knowing that Amber will be able to live her life out being loved and well-cared for, even if I can’t be there, gives me at least some comfort.


Cheshire Farm Sanctuary has already rescued two more horses, both in desperate need of TLC, and who knows what fate they would have faced if Amber hadn’t found a home. This has been a painful, but necessary, reminder that in order to save one life, you have to be able to let another move on –that is, and will always be, the fundamental goal that drives any rescue.


I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to know this amazing mare, and play a small part in helping her to go on to live the loving life she should have always had.

No comments:

Post a Comment